Hot off the presses from last night’s Getting’ Sauced with Draper’s BBQ and the Kentucky State BBQ Festival (so dubbed KSBF from here forward because that is a lot to read) webpage, I have been asked to do the cooking demonstrations for the 2nd Ever Kentucky State BBQ Festival. I am both honored and humbled by being asked to do this by Brad Simmon’s and the organizers of the event.
For those that were not able to attend last year’s event and missed Brad and I talking about it last night on the radio show let me attempt to describe just what this festival is all about. The KSBF is loosely based on the Big Apple Block Party. The organizers invite the best of the best in the world of barbecue out to cook for thousands of new friends. In short, Joe Consumer can come out and eat the barbecue of world class pitmasters. The list of pitmasters for this event is impressive to say the least, a definite who’s who of Q. To get to share an event with the likes of Carey Bringle (Peg Leg Porker BBQ), Moe Cason (Ponderosa BBQ), Pete and Melissa Cookston (Yazoo’s Delta Q), Shelly Hunt (Desperados Barbecue) and Craig Kimmel (Firehouse BBQ) is an honor.
Add to that being asked to sit in for none other than Dr. BBQ, mister Ray Lampe is humbling to say the least. Ray did amazing cooking demonstrations last year and to say one could ever replace him would be a mistake. Ray is one of my personal bbq heroes, I got to tell him that at last years KSBF when were vending barbeque sauce and rub. Ray was such a great guy he even used our products during his demonstrations. The first barbecue related book I ever read was Ray’s Big Time Barbecue. Ray has had a great influence on not only me, but a whole generation of barbecue pitmasters and I will forever be in his debt. I can only do my best to live up to the excepti”onal standard that Ray set at last year’s KSBF.
So what can you expect from the demos this year? Great competition tips adapted for the backyard and awesome samples cooked on a pit that anyone can use. That’s right we will have a limited amount of samples during each class. Mike and I have been working on a curriculum for our classes that is based on our Salt, Smoke, Meat concept. I took this simplified concept and compressed it even further to work in a 30min demonstration.
On Saturday, September 8th I will be doing the following demos:
- 12:30pm – Chicken – I will show you how to make competition lollipop chicken legs and let you taste them. You will also get recipes and instruction for whole and spatchcocked chicken as well.
- 2:30pm – Ribs – We will discuss baby backs vs spare ribs, go over how to properly trim ribs and I will give you instructions on how to cook 4hr ribs.
- 4:45pm – Pulled Pork – We will coverBoston butts vs whole shoulders, proper trimming, proper injection and how to cook including our competition timeline.
- 5:30pm – Brisket – I will cover picking a proper brisket, how to trim correctly, injection recommendations and of course how to cook a great brisket.
On Sunday, Sept 9th I will be doing these:
- 11:15am – Tailgating – It’s all about easy and great entertaining with this demo. Moink balls, wings, bacon explosion I got it all covered.
- 1:30pm – Holiday on the Pit – Give the oven a break, I will show you how to great turkey and ham on your smoker.
We will be cooking all of this on Green Mountain Grill’s pellet grills. We are proud to be featuring the GMG as part of the cooking process because they are a very affordable, highly capable and easy to use barbecue pit. These pits with just a little bit of know how and anyone can be a super star in their backyard.
In addition to the demo’s we will also have our booth set up selling our sauce and rub. Danvillewas great to Draper’s BBQ last year and we sold out of sauce and rub. We are coming prepared this year and look forward to meeting even more new friends and visiting with the fans we made last year.
As you can see this year’s Kentucky State BBQ Festival is a big event for Draper’s BBQ and we have gone “all in” on it. We can’t wait to get there and are proud to be apart of this event! See you there!